Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Got milk?

Remember Emily? She is one of my fabulous Invisalign patients! To refresh your memory, she has a sister in Colorado who is also undergoing Invisalign treatment. Emily and I were engaging in some "friendly competition" with her sister (unbeknownst to her :)) to straighten Emily's teeth first! I am all for healthy sibling rivalry! Update: Emily has started on her "refinement" aligners, meaning we are doing a little more "tweaking" by adding some more trays. Her sister is still waiting for her refinement aligners to arrive....awww, too bad.... All in good fun, all in good fun. I hope to meet her sister one day!

For now I was excited to meet Emily's boyfriend, John. He came along to Emily's appointment and he immediately impressed me with his quick wit, good looks, and outgoing demeanor.  I could see why John and Emily were a couple-they both share these same qualities! After chitchatting a bit,  John told me that he had "very strong teeth and bones." I thought, well that's great! It's nice to know yourself inside and out! He then informed me, (or was it Emily?) that he loves to drink milk. I went along, saying,  "Oh yeah,  eating cereal with milk is really good." He looked at me quizzically, remarking, "No,  just milk." I looked back at him and continued, "Yeah, but with a brownie or a cookie, a glass of milk is so refreshing." He responded,"Well sure, that tastes good too but nothing is as delicious as a big, cold glass of whole milk."

Pause.

I looked at Emily and asked, "Whole milk?"

Emily said, "I know! Can you believe it? John LOVES whole milk! He drinks a gallon of whole milk every week!"  John continued to explain that he has loved milk since he was a young boy and can drink it all day, every day. His mom even stocks her fridge with several gallons of whole milk when she knows her lactose-tolerant son is coming to visit! I mumbled something about skim milk and John  went on a "skim milk is not milk-it's-bluish-grey-it's-like-drinking-water" rant. He described how he loves the white creamy texture of whole milk, that it gives him more satisfaction than skim or even 2% could ever provide.

While John said he has no idea what his cholesterol levels are, he did mention that once when he fell off of his bike onto his face, no teeth were sacrificed. Not a chip or a scratch. No cavities. No broken bones.  Made me think, "darn, why didn't I indulge in a whole milk beverage for lunch?"

It seems this young woman feels the same about whole milk:

http://blogs.experiencelifemag.com/signs-of-life/2009/01/why-whole-milk-is-the-healthiest-choice.html

Hmmm....Got whole milk??

No comments:

Post a Comment